Ukrainian Beet Borscht
2 lbs red beets (round or cylinder)
1 sweet onion
1 lb Zelaney carrots
1 lb sieglinde potatoes
2 cloves minced garlic
1 cup chopped fern dill
*Option to add shredded cabbage
2 litres chicken stock
1 litre water
1 small can tomato paste
1 cup vinegar
3 Bay leaves
Optional: sour cream as garnish
1. Chop or shred all vegetables (except dill) and put in a LARGE soup pot.
2. Add in chicken stock and boil until vegetables are fully cooked.
3. Add tomato paste, vinegar, bay leaves and dill, and simmer for one hour
4. Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
* Option to add 1 tbsp sour cream and fresh dill garnish to each serving
Makes 6-8 litres of soup, which can be frozen for future dinners...
* This recipe is always a favourite in the Zelaney household. Its nutritious, and loaded full of our fresh vegetables. It’s comfort food that pairs well with fresh, homemade biscuits too!
** Feel free to omit the chicken stock and sour cream for vegetarian/vegan option
*** Alternatively, you may add diced ham for a heartier, more filling meal.